Apr 20, 2006

Firsts, Firsts and more Firsts!



It's been a while since I posted- sorry to all of you who anxiously await new pics. We were on vacation last week- Cort's first trip to the beach.... that begins his long lists of firsts(some good, some not so good) that have happen over the past two weeks...in no particular order..

1. First long road trip(he did great)
2. First vacation
3. First time on a beach( a regular little beach bum)
4. First laugh(very quick but we'll take it)
5. First grab and hold purposely(other than my hair)
6. First rash(all over his body :( )
7. First ear infection :(
8. First antibiotic
9. First acknowledgment of our cat, Mowgli
10. First time to refuse his paci for nap
11. First teeth cutting
12. First professional pics
13. First Easter

No you did not read number 11 wrong. My 3 month old is cutting two teeth- one on the top, one on the bottom. It has been a really interesting week or two - i guess I should start from the top. Two weeks ago Cort started having a rash on his body. I thought it was due to a new lotion that I used but then it spread -the morning we were leaving to go to the beach! Thankfully, my doctor was open so we ran to the doctor before leaving to go out of town. She agreed that it was just some type of contact irritation(what we don't know). However, I mentioned that he hadn't been wanting to eat much and was having a hard time going down at night -she checked his ears- first ear infection. I think the rash was God's way of getting me to the doctor before we went to the beach.

We went on the beach with our little trooper. He was so good and here he had this itchy rash and an ear infection( and cutting two teeth unknown to us). He liked the beach and hanging out with his Grammie, Papa, Aunt Michelle and cousin Chandler( who could always get a smile). It was nice to have extra hands and to just get out of the same old routine a little bit. We also got to stop by on the way back and visit Grandmommie and Grandpa(Chris' parents) so he got a full fix of family.

He continued to refuse to eat much all week. I got worried about his weight gain and took him back to the doctor when we got back to see if the ear infection had not cleared. He had not gained any weight but his ear infection was clear. :)And while she was examining him she checked his mouth and wouldn't you know it - he's cutting two teeth!! I wasn't surprised, Chris and I had started suspecting it two weeks ago but dismissed it because he is so young. My doc said it's one of the youngest she's ever seen - lucky us. He's in a little pain - I'm in a lot. It's difficult with hime being so young because he can't just pick up a teether and put it is mouth when he hurts.

He had started to want to eat again but was taking an hour where he use to take 15 -20 minutes. Long story short, my milk supply is low because he wasn't eating last week. We are diligently trying to increase it but no luck so far. This has been very frustrating because nursing has always gone so well. And here we are when it is suppose to be even easier and it just got a whole lot harder. I am praying that things will fall back into place soon or for some wisdom about what to do next.

In spite of all the craziness, Cort has been great and quite content. We got some pictures taken of him and they turned out great (some posted). Chris will appreciate me mentioning that we did not request the pictures with the feathers and in fact protested a little but then his expressions were so good we couldn't pass them up. Cort is really enjoying his new found abiltiy to reach and grab toys. Chris and I love watching him grow up. There are a lot of pics- enjoy.















3 comments:

Shannon said...

What awesome pictures!!! I love the ones with the feathers... they remind me of those Anne Geddes pics. Cort could easily be one of those babies her books, he's so photogenic!

Ginger said...

hey emily, i enjoyed the update on everything. bauer got his first 2 teeth at 3.5 months old. we had NO idea he was about to get teeth and then my sister noticed these white spots on his bottom gum, which turned out to be teeth coming through a few days later. he now has 8 teeth (at 7 months) and they say the average for the first tooth is 7 months! he has 4 on top and 4 on bottom. it's really weird how much having teeth changes a baby's looks but with bauer we think he's even cuter. the pictures you posted of cort are adorable.

Rebecca said...

Soo glad to hear of all your "firsts"!! Cort is sooo cute! I loved the pics! We got some pics of Tallon on the beach when we went home and they are precious! Sorry to hear Cort doesn't take to teething as much as Tallon doesn't- we do NOT sleep ( at night or day) and he is soo pitiful and fussy! hang in there- just think- we only have a WHOLE mouth FULL to go!!!!!!!! Tallon always decreases his feeding for almost a week and than he will suddenly start sleeping and eating again.I will be praying your milk supply will increase!!! Hope the adjustment back home goes well!!