Nov 8, 2007

Dependence

We had our 20 week ultrasound yesterday. It's a boy!! It was a long day.

Our baby has been diagnosed with probable Thanatophoric Dysplasia. This is a skeletal disorder marked by short arms and legs as well as small ribs and chest. Unfortunately, the small ribs and chest create an issue for proper lung development. As long as our little guy is inside my body he is fine. However, when he is born he will not be able to breath on his own. Survival is very rare and comes with very severe medical issues. There should be no pregnancy issues so I should carry him full term. They cannot confirm the diagnosis without more testing. We are unsure of our plan of action right now.

We are at a loss of words and even unsure of our thoughts at the moment. I will write more later about details and our thoughts. I guess right now we just ask that you pray for us, Cort, and our son. Specifically, you can pray for the following:

1) That God would preform a miracle and heal our son. This is our heart's desire.

2) If God chooses not to heal him, pray that I will get to hold him alive when he is born. I know it will be hard but I want to hold him breathing. I feel him move in me now and know he is alive and I want to see him and remember him that way.

3) Pray for us as we figure out how to respond and handle these next 4.5 months. We know that all things are for God's glory and long to see that in this. Pray that our hearts can follow what our head knows. We want to respond over these next months truthfully but in a way that glorifies our God. We do not know what this will look like.

4) Pray for continued dependence on God. We have no strength on our own to deal with this. Pray that we would cling to Him in this time.

5) Praise God for Cort and the current life of our new son. We want to rejoice in God's blessings. Pray that we can maintain some normalcy for Cort and enjoy this special time in his life right now. Praise God for everyday that our new son lives.






23 comments:

TheBrookshires said...

Sorry to hear the sad news. Know we will be praying for you! Trust that the Lord never gives us more than we can handle.

Rebecca said...

Emily- my heart is so heavy as I read this- I am praying for you now and will continue to pray for you, Chris, Cort and this sweet little boy God is forming in your womb!! The ultrasound pictures are beautiful- I love the 3d one showing all his little toes and legs!We love you!

Annie said...

Emily,
I just wanted to let you know that Brian and I are praying for you, Chris, Cort and your baby boy.

Jessica said...

My heart is heavy too. Will and I will be praying.

The Dart Family said...

Em--Please know that you, Chris, Cort, and your little baby boy are in my prayers.

Casey said...

Oh Emily I am crying as I read this. Louis and I will keep you, Chris, and Cort in our prayers.

Carrie Nixon said...

Emily -

You don't know me. I am a friend of Joy and Rich Cutter and they passed your prayer needs on to us and I have passed them even furthur. Know that you are not alone in this. Take a look at this blog when you get a chance. http://babyleino.blogspot.com/ This couple goes to the church we have been visiting. They lost their son recently to a heart defect. But, the posts are so uplifting to read and I hope that their words will be a source of strength and inspiration for you and your family as you meet this head on.

We will pray for you and your family.

Carrie

kelly said...

Your little boy is so beautiful! We are heart broken and praying for you all. We love you guys...kelly and john.

TigerFamily said...

Oh Emily, my heart just hurts for you guys. I have been praying for this "family and baby boy" for a few days now...Is your mom Stephanie? If she is then she used to be my mom's boss and called my mom asking for prayer. Know that you, Chris and Cort have been lifted up and wrapped in love. My mom's ladies group is praying for you as well as our small group here in GA. I had no idea y'all were the family we were praying for. Know you are loved and supported. I love the pictures, thanks for sharing. Martha

Dewa said...

Emily,

Just wanted to let you know that we're praying for you. Thank you for sharing the baby pictures and letting us know how to specifically pray for you. We'll be thinking of you.

Love, Dewa and Arie

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I want you to know that you are all in our prayers. Our hearts break for you. Your faith and trust in the Lord through all of this is an amazing testimony to who you are in Him.
Shannon and Jason Griffith

Kelley C said...

Brenna sent me this way. I don't even know what to say.

Psalm 30:5b weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.

I don't know how long your night will be but I will continually pray for your morning to come and with it, rejoicing. Both of your sons are blessed to have you two as parents.

-kelley caskey

Chrys and Mike said...

Sweet Emily,

I know we've never even met but I feel like I know you through your blog. Your family is precious and we will be praying for you all.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him so that you will overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

Love and prayers from Dallas,
Chrys

Aron said...

Emily,
You don't know me, but I am Rebecca's sister-in-law, and I have been following your blog for months. Your family is so beautiful! My heart breaks for you and your family right now. Please know that you are in our prayers. Thank you for the specific prayer requests, and please continue to let us know of your needs.

Unknown said...

Emily, I cannot imagine what you are going through right now. I am so, so saddened by the news. I will pray that God will grant you the courage to face each day of this pregnancy in His arms. Thankfully, this broken world is not our home!

XOXO

Julie said...

Emily and Chris,
Ed and I both are lifting you, Cort, and your little miracle to the Lord and have been since we heard the news last Wednesday. I have lots of quiet moments while nursing Mary Addison, so I have turned those moments into moments of prayer for your family....

Anonymous said...

Emily and Chris, you don't know me but Julie Edwards is my cousin and she passed on your prayer need to me. As a mother, OB nurse and sister in Christ my heart breaks for you; BUT we know God is a God of miracles and I pray this for you and your family. You will be on my prayer list and I will add you to my church's. May God give you all the "peace that passes all understanding" during these months to come, may you feel His hand on you and your baby son now as never before. I know Julie will keep me updated. Love in Christ, Yvonne Brown

Ed said...

I just want to let you guys know that we are here to do anything we can, and we're praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily. I met you at Chandlers birthday party in Wilmington a couple years ago. I got the email from Michelle and your situation has definitely been on my heart. I sent the prayer request onto many other people. I'm printing out your specific requests and will daily be praying over them. Gods strength is seen through your words. You are amazing!

Erin Blair

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily, you don't know me but I'm a friend of Jake and Kristi Miller. I wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and your family and your son.

Anonymous said...

Hello, we just met yesterday, not sure you will remember us, J. C. passed on your blog address. Hopefully this isn't too personal considering we have just made acquaintance, but we are all part of God's family and it feels right to thank you for sharing your story, there is so much testament and courage in doing so. We are praying in agreement with you for a specific miracle for you and for the desire of your heart to be given.
Remember, you don't have to comment on anything you are feeling or not feeling at this time, just be real with God and each other. Don't feel like you have to explain anything to any of us out here at this time, unless it helps you along the way. You are loved by God and many. His love will not fail you. Know that folks are in battle with and for you, all 4 of you.

Emily said...

Hi Emily.

I'm Emily, too. :) I noticed your comment on Angie Luce's blog and couldn't help but come and learn about your sweet boy. My daughter, Miller Grace, was born in June with an unnamed myriad of neurological problems, so I can understand how it feels to face such a rare problem that threatens the life of your baby. I do not your pain and would never presume to, but I've walked a similar road and thought you might like to know I'm praying for you. You're welcome to read more of Miller Grace's story at www.caringbridge.org/visit/millergracecassetty or on my blog, linked in my profile.

I pray Christmas was gentle for you and that 2008 holds miracles unspeakable. God is big enough to take care of every detail. He really, really is. Keep giving it all to Him and cling to Psalm 139.

I'm here if you need an ear, a shoulder, an eye to read, a prayer... whatever.

Journey of Faith said...

I am sorry you have to go through this, but I understand what you are going through. I am almost 26 wks pregnant and facing the same thing. Hugs!