
(click on the program to read it)
I don't think this post will ever do justice to the night we held Cohen's concert. It could not have been any more than it was. Chris and I are overwhelmed, not only from the support we received but for the peace that God gave us through it all and for the way that our God was worshiped that night. Sometimes in walking through this journey, I feel God so close and other times God feels very far away. Friday night, I believe I could have almost touched Him.I first want to give an overview for people who prayed for us from afar and weren't able to be there. Chris really poured his heart into this and prayerfully made each small decision about how the night should go. Everything down to the trivial candles in the lobby came together in an unbelievable way.

We didn't count but by estimation and other people's opinion we believe there were around 150 to 200 people there. We were so touched by all who showed up to love on us, Cohen, and to worship God. Seven songs were played - here was the set list:
Rest For the Weary - Cool Hand Luke
Came to my Rescue - Hilllsong United
Lord Let Your Glory Fall - Matt Redman
Til I See You - Hillsong United
Wonderful King - passion
Always - Chris McGowan
Night Must End - Sleeping At Last
Chris carefully picked each song to play for God and for Cohen. It was important for us for people to understand that this was not an early memorial service. This was a celebration of Cohen's life, a celebration of our wonderful God, and a celebration of the gift of music that Chris wants to share with his children.
We played a video after the first song to introduce people to Cohen. We wanted people to meet who they were praying for. We wanted people to know he is already a blessing and a miracle. I will try to post it to the blog as soon as I can.
We had asked one of our pastors to speak on prayer for 5 - 10 minutes during the service. He did a wonderful job and so willingly allowed God to just use him to speak His truth.
He spoke from Romans 8: 18-28. The scriptures seemed to leap off the page and settle in our hearts.
We had some corporate prayer. During one song, a friend of ours led the crowd in some specific prayer requests we gave him and at another time we had a a time of "free" prayer where we just invited people to pray individually, in groups, or with us. It was amazing. I felt so blessed to have people who love the Lord genuinely praying over us and Cohen. We would love continued prayer and here are our prayer requests:
1) Pray that God would heal Cohen.
2) Pray that if it is not God’s intention to heal Cohen, that He would protect him through the rest of
pregnancy and birth, and that we would have the opportunity to hold him alive.
3) Pray that God would give us strength and protect our hearts as we walk through this time,
and that we would respond to God honestly and with trust regardless of God’s plan for Cohen’s life.
4)Pray that we would trust God and cling to Him even if we and others don’t understand His
full purpose in this.
5) Pray that Cohen’s life , our faith, and the faith of those supporting us would glorify
God and allow those who may not know God to see Him.
6) Pray that God’s power, love, and sovereignty would be evident to all who are involved in this difficult
time.
We also had Cohen's box there. It's a box Chris and I got for him when we first found out about his disorder to keep all of the cards, emails, and words of encouragement in. We brought the box and people wrote prayers and letters for Cohen.
God was with us that night. He was in that room and I hope He was pleased. Believers united in prayer and in worship of Him in a way that I have not experienced in a while.

Cohen loved it. He didn't stop moving to the music and would often kick the hands of people praying for him and praising God.
I was so pleased for Chris as he really poured his heart into this. I was so pleased that God allowed that night to be exactly as we hoped for and more.
We are so thankful to everyone who helped us make it happen. It meant so much to Chris to have the guys he had playing with him there for God and Cohen.
Chris and I left that night feeling a peace that I almost wasn't expecting. A peace that we serve such a powerful God and just as the song, Let your Glory Fall, says, "You(God ) are Good and Your love endures." And we left from that night, not sad that it was over, or afraid of what is coming, but knowing our God is good and he loves us. And that will be enough.
17 comments:
wow. just wow.
chrys
emily- that picture of you is quite possibly the most beautiful picture i have ever seen. you look so peaceful and calm and loving/loved.
kelley smith
grace church
emily,
i'm a friend of michelle's and i have been following your family's story. i am in awe of how you continue to let God use you in this difficult time. God bless you and your family as you continue this struggle.
We continue to pray for Cohen's healing and God's will!
Mackenzie, Sean, Adah, and Ezra Foust
Absolutely beautiful- so Thankful that the God we serve is LIVING and CAN ANSWER THE PRAYERS OF OUR HEARTS!!
I love all the sweet touches- from the time Chris spent organizing the songs to the candles, scrapbook pages and Cohen's box! We love you guys!
Rebecca for the Cannon clan
everything about that night was beautiful. kristi and i were so blessed to be a part of it.
i love the fact the cohen was moving throughout the music! i know that must have been wonderful for you.
you guys are so strong, and your faith is such an amazing testimony to everyone.
we're praying so hard for you guys and little cohen!
Awesome is all that I can say. The pictures really capture that thought...AWESOME. Know that ya'll were in my thoughts and prayers on Friday.
Wow, beautiful post, Emily. Continued prayers...
What a beautiful post and testimony to the awesome power of God! You were certainly in our prayers Friday night and will continue to be. We love you all- John, Rebekah, Jack and Rylee
What an Amazing way to celebrate our Savior and your sweet baby boy. Thank you for the specific prayer requests. We're praying so hard for your beautiful family!
emily seeing the picture of you and cohen worshipping is amazing- thank you for sharing this with us all to experience God's grace in this- i'm amazed at how God continues to move you and Chris toward Himself in this- we continue to pray for y'all-
Your story is a precious testimony to our loving God...thank you for sharing it and blessing so many.
i found out about your story through jake miller's blog...i also go to Grace. i attended the concert for cohen, and bill white said it right when he said we were on holy ground. God's presence was incredible in that moment. i've been so touched and moved by your faith and trust in God and your love for both of your sons. you all are in my prayers and in my family's prayers. God IS using you guys and Cohen to change lives. your faith and your story is a blessing to others.
in His name,
Heather Armfield
Emily,
"Special" is the only word, but yet it seems completely inadequate to describe the stories these pictures tell of your evening. You and Chris are walking through this well. I know God is pleased. I continue to pray and ache for you. much love, kristin seaver
Oh Emily. I have chills, just from seeing a tiny glimpse of such a beautiful way to honor your Lord and to celebrate the life He has blessed you with in Cohen. Amazing. I am so honored to "know" your sweet boy. It may seem strange, but is it possible for me to get one of those little programs? I would dearly love to keep it along with other announcements I have of Miller Grace's little friends, that I might be prompted to pray for y'all when I see it. :) I am so honored that you would add us to your blog. And I'm adding Cohen now, too. Precious. Be blessed today, beautiful momma! :)
We love that you are so willing to share your journey with us...the pictures from the concert were awe-inspiring!
Love to all,
The Wilhelms
Columbia
There is no doubt in my mind that our Lord was pleased on this night. Several of us even talked about it at the time. I know the Holy Spirit is always present, always in the hearts of His followers, but that night His presence was completely unmistakable. As many tears were shed, I know our Father was smiling at us and crying with us and wiping our tears. I love all of you so much and am so blessed to see how you have been able to bring glory to God through the biggest challenge you have ever been faced with. -Kelley
His love and power is steadfast sand constant...we love you and are still praying for you all.
Kristina for Chris and the boys + several friends and churches of Radius Church Tri-Cities
Tennessee
Post a Comment