Days have been hard recently. Cohen is doing very well but I am tired. Very tired. For the past two weeks we have had some sort of appointment every morning and sometimes something in the afternoon too. I have come down with some sort of cold or something ( the doctor didn't really help me figure it out) and that isn't helping. I have to wear a mask when I handle and nurse Cohen to try to keep him from getting whatever type of respiratory stuff I have going on. This is frustrating and worry that he's going to get sick but so far so good. Please pray that he and Cort do not get sick.
I think of these hard days in light of what I thought today may have been like - what everyone prepared me for in pregnancy. In comparison, I love my dry hands from washing them a million times and love the annoying little masks I wear. I love each doctor's appointment in my day planner. I love it all. I can't say it makes is all easy. I am still a mom adapting to the "normal 2 children thing" and I am still a mom adjusting to the fact that our life is very different from what we had planned... a mom adjusting to the fact that my little Cohen's life may not be very easy. But I am never ungrateful. I am always thankful for this time, this gift, this miracle God has given us.
While I was pregnant with Cohen, when I first found out about Cohen's fatal diagnosis, tons of people sent me links to other blogs - women who had lost their babies or were currently pregnant with a child who also received a fatal diagnosis. ( Most of them were babies with Trisomy 18) At first, I didn't look at them. I wasn't ready - other people's stories did not bring me comfort. After about a month or so I slowly started to look at a few. And by 2 months out, I had a whole little community of women that I could silently peek in on, silently pray for, and silently connect with. I hardly ever commented on their blogs - i wasn't quite ready for contact - maybe it seemed to make it to real - to totally connect myself with these other mothers. These women spoke to me in unbelievable ways through their journeys. I love their little ones and I love them.There were times I didn't feel like I could completely connect because Cohen's condition was so rare - no one else had a child with exactly what he had. I sometimes wished for even a different fatal diagnosis - one that would at least allow me the possibility of getting to bring him home. In the end, i knew this was a very silly thought process and the end I knew that the diagnosis did not make a difference. These other pregnant mother's and I were going through the same thing - Undeniable grief, sadness, pain, confusion, and unbelievable hope. I read blogs of women who were months before me and had already lost their babies, ones that had their babies and were taking care of them at their homes until they sent them home to Jesus. I prepared myself to be a part of that community as well - not just a pregnant women with a prenatal fatal diagnosis but a women who had lost her child. I prayed daily for that not to happen but I prepared myself for it.
And I stand here now - not fully a part of that community and it is hard to explain how it feels. I am not a women who has lost her child. Yes, it feels wonderful. I am in awe of our God daily that he has blessed us with this Miracle. That Cohen is defying all odds. That somewhere between his last ultrasound and birth God grew him - He grew him in a way that doctors will not admit and people cannot explain but He did it. But it feels strange too - strange to sit there holding him knowing that this is not how it was "suppose" to be. Strange to read these blogs of whom I'll call my friends and cry because I don't understand. I don't understand why Cohen is here and their little ones are not. In the same way that I trusted God through my pregnancy that His will be done - that his way is always the right way - the He is good and He loves us - I trust Him now. I trust Him that this is how it is suppose to be for us and it is how it suppose to be for them but I do not understand it and I do not like it for them. I think of them when I celebrate another day with Cohen and am pained at the thought of the way they have to count their days. I pray for them because where I once could, I now cannot imagine what they must feel. Maybe I have some understanding more than most but really, I don't know if I can even claim that. I am constantly humbled as I know I hold my little one undeserving - nothing by my own merit - only by the sweet, sweet rescue of my Lord. I am constantly floored that the impact that Cohen has had on people and their lives. I have seen God move in big ways. I know that my friends and their little ones have done the same with every little second of their lives and praise God for that. I have added several of my new friends as links on my blog. I would ask that you pray for them as they face each day - that God would bless them in ways that they can feel - that they can feel His presence and know that He is good and He loves them. That He is Good and He loves their little ones - their little miracles - more than we could ever know.
Finishing 2011
14 years ago
13 comments:
I share many of those feelings. Although when I was pregnant everything was "normal" it wasnt until Alex was born that I thought he would die, and here he is.
It is so much to take in, and I still struggle to understand why some live and others dont.
I'm sorry that you're under the weather! And I cant even imagine how tiring 2 little boys must be! BUt it is truly a blessing to have the opportunity to be so tired and have your 2 little guys!
Have you guys ever received a formal diagnosis or any results from the genetic testing?
AMAZING AND TOUCHING!!!
You are so generous with your praise and with your well-wishes for others. I pray you are blessed a thousand-fold for your gentle heart. Praying you feel better, and always praying for Cort and Cohen.
N. Palhinha
Canada
Emily,
The more I travel this journey with you mothers and your miracles, the more I realize the things that I will never understand. All of you are teaching me so much on this road of life. Cohen is one of Gods sweet miracles that open my eyes to His goodness. Most of all, He chose you to be Cohens mommy because He knew He could trust you to raise him and share the Lords goodness with us out here. Thank you for sharing your blessing with me. I pray for your days to be full of joy, in the midst of feeling yucky and I hope you are better soon.
Love, Laurie in Ca.
I enjoyed reading this entry today. Thank you for sharing your feelings. I have experienced a lot of the same feelings you had when my daughter was alive. We had her for 14 months with what they had said was a "not compatible with life" condition. I also can relate to your feelings of frustration that there weren't others out there with the same diagnosis. My Annabelle also had an extremely rare condition and they still aren't sure what it was. But, she lived and I cherished that time, and it is a blessing to see you cherishing your unexpected time as well! All of our stories are different, but, we continue to learn from eachother and about how God works through each of us in different ways, whether it be through loss or life.
God's mercy takes on a whole new meaning when you're taking home baby who wasn't supposed to live....we too, have a child whom every indication during pregnancy was that she would be very involved in issues...yet I see her playing outside at 11, normal in most every aspect...stellar in mess making...God is good...yet it is still so hard to understand why her, why us...how....but God is God and He has a plan for us. We will add health and healing in our prayers for your family and specifically for you!
hugs hugs hugs
Shanna
Emily,
Our daughter's pediatrician called it "survivor's guilt" when I described these same feelings to her. Whatever it's called, I don't think you can be told your child cannot live, and then be blessed with that child in your arms, alive, for any amount of time that's more than someone else, and not feel guilty. I know Yvette felt that way, too.
The amazing thing is what Meela wrote: "All of our stories are different, but, we continue to learn from each other and about how God works through each of us in different ways, whether it be through loss or life."
One thing I think makes your story especially different ... I think Cohen touches us all in a unique way BECAUSE he isn't one of a "group." One of the things that makes you feel set apart (that his condition is so rare), is what keeps us in awe of his very presence in your family today. You (and we) had nothing to compare him to. But try to not let it keep you from feeling connected to other moms you've met through your blog. Or from all the others who have never gone through such a pregnancy, but who have grown to love you and follow your story because you shared your life in this way.
I hope you feel better soon - physically and emotionally. All of this is a process....
connie
Everyone has to journey their own road in this life... and I think it is okay to feel tired and overwhelmed at times, even though there are others that have situations that are much worse. I think you and your family have been such an amazing earthly example of God's love, grace and faithfulness.
Keep on pressing on! You are such a special family and I have truely enjoyed reading your blog.
I think of the beautiful miracle of Cohen often. God is so merciful. In death and life...he extends mercy. I'm still praying for you guys. God Bless, Angela
Sweet Emily,
I remember well how it felt to be in similar shoes to the ones you are standing in now. For 20 weeks of my pregnancy with Matilyn, we were warned that she may not live. Gastroschisis is typically a correctable problem, but any myriad of complications could arise at any time, and Matilyn's life was always, always at risk. I prepared my heart then to lose her, the best way I knew how. And then I didn't. Like Cohen, she made a miraculous recovery that doctors could not deny and no one can explain. I spiraled down in Postpartum Depression when she was a few months old and it made me angry. Here I was with this healthy, happy baby who was such a living, breathing miracle when some of her friends from the NICU had already gone home with the Lord and I was SAD? What's up with that? But coming down off such a high in the NICU with one miracle after another and facing reality at home with two very needy little ones who have no idea the magnitude of their existence is draining at best. Keep proclaiming the miracles of Cohen, for his story is an AMAZING one written by His creator. Shout for joy... but don't even try to understand. You never will. You didn't get to choose this. Nothing you did was any better than what the rest of us did, who now know the void of having a child missing from our lives, and at home with our Lord. We're not in control of these things. I no more wish you this heartache than I wished it for myself. This IS God's will. This IS Plan A. We will not understand it this side of eternity and the best thing we can do is to choose to praise God for who He is - not what He has done or how He has done it. KNOW, KNOW, that when I personally look into the face of little Cohen, my heart dances. There is NO bitterness, no jealousy, no negatives at all. After releasing my baby girl to her Savior, then watching sweet baby after sweet baby lose their little battles in this world, Cohen was a breath of fresh air and a MIGHTY reminder that God IS big enough to save anyone He chooses to save and that He DOES know what He is doing. The children He has chosen to carry home have blessed us immensely and my heart swells with pride to see Miller Grace's name in your sidebar, for she will always be my miracle girl and I will forever be thankful for the time I shared with her and the thought of running to her when I get home makes this life worthwhile. Be gentle with yourself, dance with your boy, and trust God with all you cannot see. I remember well gazing into the picture of you holding your belly at Cohen's concert and praying to God that He would rescue you. And He has. Rejoice in it. Remember that this life is ALL about faith. And faith is being SURE of what we hope for and certain of what we do NOT see. Rest in Him tonight. And accept my most heartfelt thanks for letting me watch the miracle of Cohen unfold and for loving my girl enough to let others read of the story her God about her, before even time began.
Forgive me for writing a novel... it's what I do! :)
Loving you...
Emily
Mom of 3 Miracle Girls
emily...your faith is inspiring. i continue to pray for you & your family. our Father loves us so much! thank you for reminding me of that...i'm blessed to simply follow your journey in this way.
beth
I am so thankful to have read your words today. My situation while very different has caused me to feel many of the emotions you describe so well. It is so tough to be pregnant expecting the worst yet hoping for the best. You are an amazing mom and it is so hard to come to terms with the fact that this is how it is supposed to be. In my mind children are not supposed to die before their parents! I have now mourned and continue to mourn the loss of two of my precious sons and still struggle with the idea that this was God's plan. I can see the wonderful things he is doing through them but have a difficult time understanding that this is what he intended for us. It is tough to struggle with something so rare as some of these conditions. I feel like no one could possiby fully understand and yet yearn for someone to connect with in that way. Please know I am praying for you and for baby Cohen! He is such an amazing gift!
Much Love,
Kristy
Post a Comment