So, I've had several people ask over the past few months about Cohen's diagnosis and I'm finally getting around to writing about it.
Cohen's blood tests came back negative for Thanatophoric Dysplasia. They are still going with the diagnosis they came up with in the NICU - Odontochondrodysplasia. There is not blood test for this so his diagnosis is just clinical. The Geneticist here and the ones over in Germany feel fairly confident that this is what Cohen has. It is a form of dwarfism characterized by:
* short arms and legs
* bowing of the long bones
* small ribs and therefore small lungs
* possible development of scoliosis that requires surgery
* normal facial structure
* flat vertebrae that have delayed ossification
* soft and sometimes discolored teeth causing dental issues
* delayed physical development
* typical mental development
Some have asked why this wasn't a dysplasia that they threw out as a possibility when I was pregnant with Cohen. The biggest reason is because it is just VERY rare. It was only recently identified as it's own classification of dysplasias. Cohen is currently the only known case in the US and only like the 15th or so known case in the world. They do believe that is probably under identified but still...
The life expectancy is good for the most part - there have been a few children( of the few they know about)that have died later in life due to respiratory insufficiency. It is also most likely that other babies are born with this but do die at birth due to chest size and either are identified as an unknown skeletal dysplasia or misidentified. The oldest known case is in her upper teens. On another down side, there are also sibling pairs among the few identified making it most likely that this is a recessive genetic disorder - meaning hereditary. ( I have lots of jumbled thoughts and feelings about this but that's a post for another day)
Here's the thing - we don't put a lot of stock into this diagnosis. Not because we don't think it's what he has but in a sense it doesn't effect us that much for several reasons. One, it is so rare, that there is VERY LITTLE info about it and there certainly hasn't been enough identified children with it to really get a good idea of what the future holds or what type of medical care he needs. Two, we're waiting on a few things like his teeth to come in and some older xrays to be sure that he continues to match this diagnosis as he grows.
It is very strange to have a diagnosis that doesn't tell us much. I struggle not having anyone to relate with - having worked in the special needs I am so use to the idea of having lots of info about disorders and connecting with other people going through the exact same thing. It is scary to me that we don't know "the best coarse of action" to take with Cohen.
Now, on the flip side. I LOVE that no one can put Cohen in a box. There is no set path for him to take. He is not defined by his disorder. ( i believe this to be true of all children but society tends to differ) To us, our son does have a form of dwarfism. This is something that we and he will deal with for the rest of his life. But above all - he is God's child. He is my son. He is a miracle. He is Cohen.
I also want to be very clear about our perception of what happen the day that Cohen was born. It is clear that there was a misdiagnoses. Cohen does not have thanatophoric dysplasia. Some have responded to this as if it means this was a simple case of medical misdiagnoses. To us, this is simply not true. Now, I do not pretend for a minute to really be able to explain what God did on March 5, 2008 - but his much I know... God breathed life into Cohen where there should have been no life. We did not have an amnio to determine Cohen having Thanatophoric dysplasia for 2 main reasons:
1) we didn't want to risk miscarriage when there would be in utero treatment nor would it change our decision about carrying him
2) The reason Cohen was not suppose to live was not because he had Thanatophoric dysplasia - it was because his ribs were too small - there is a ratio they use to determine compatibility with life that has a 95% accuracy rate in utero - the number should be .16 or higher - Cohen's was .08 in every single ultrasound.
They were certain, regardless of diagnosis, that Cohen would not be able to live. We were certain to love this little boy with all we had while I carried him - to get to know him as much as possible. We were certain to enjoy every second God gave us with him even when we couldn't see him yet. We were certain that God was in control. We were certain that God was and would be enough to carry us through our pain and fears. We were certain that God could heal our son. We are certain that God gave life to Cohen.
We stand on the other side now, uncertain of where God is taking us - uncertain of what purpose the rest of our lives hold - uncertain sometimes at our thoughts and emotions -there is sometimes still fear and pain. But we stand certain of our Father's mercy, grace, love, and power. We know that trusting in Him is exactly where we need to be now - pray for us that we can do that. It is interesting and frustrating to me that after having gone through what we went through I would ever struggle with trusting God but here's the thing - when we were pregnant we really had no choice because there was nothing else we could do but trust Him - now on the other side a little more "control" is placed in my hands and I don't want to give it over. Arghhh - I remember saying when I was pregnant with Cohen that one of my biggest fears was that on the other side I wouldn't be changed enough. I use to pray about that - that God would move in me in a way that I would never forget - I continue to pray that now - I pray that for people who have been touched by Cohen's life but I also pray that for me - that i would always give God the glory - that I would always recognize that Cohen and Cort are both God's children first - and that I will take joy in every day they are lent to us.... that I would never be the same as I was yesterday.
Finishing 2011
14 years ago
16 comments:
precious post. he's a miracle. you are an amazing mommy. thank you for sharing your heart.
chrys
it is good to hear that things are well. our Father is very merciful. kiss chris for me :) shalom.
What a beautifully written post, Emily. Truthful, honest, and just perfect. I am one of those touched by Cohen's life and I will continue to pray for you all!
With tears streaming, Emily, I praise a loving Father with you for the life of sweet Cohen! He is a miracle and God gets all the glory!
I, too, long to remember...to be transformed into a perfect likeness of Christ as He reveals Himself to me in countless ways. Every time I think "I'm not going to forget His power, I'm not going to go back to old me" and yet I keep creeping back in where I want Him to reign in my life.
Then I have to realize that I need Him-and He is there. And maybe if I "remember" all the time, I become less dependent on Him. Trust Him to love you and your family even when you struggle to "give" Him control. He is a mighty warrier fighting for the hearts of his children. He is Glorious! Cohen is a product of His glory.
Emily,
Cohen is the living example of Psalms 139: 13-16. He is fearfully and wonderfully made. He is God's true miracle and you were chosen to be his parents. How awesome is God to trust you with Cohen's life? You are honoring God and giving Him the glory each time you write here. Cohen has taught me so much about life and beating the odds written by man. I continue to pray for you as this little guy amazes you each new day. He is precious and you are so right, all children are Gods. We know WHO is in complete control here!!
Love, Laurie in Ca.
I've seen a treatment that lengthens the long bones through the use of an exterior frame with wires through the bones putting tension on the bones. Every so often, one turns the screws that put more tension on the frame to pull the bones. I think that the outer layer of the bones is cut, too, but I'm not sure.
Do you know if a treatment such as this is ever used to lengthen the bones of people with dwarfism? I imagine if it has, that the goal is not to achieve full non-dwarf height, but to achieve better physical function, if needed.
I'm looking forward to following your blog and seeing all that Cohen accomplishes in his life.
Thank you so much for your words. They are so well said and God uses them to pierce my heart and shed light were it was/is missing.
I applaud your stength of faith and honesty ...and you do it in such an open, simply way. Thank you so much. Our God WILL continue to bless your family. (MSH)
Thank you for this post. As a girl who is all about medical details and mumbo jumbo... then who throws it all out the window and decides God is sovereign, you put my curiosity about details at ease but also just blow me away with your faith. I know it's likely hard for you to see, but girl, you were SO made for such a time as this, for such boys as these! I love the mighty ways God is INDEED working. He is our healer and He alone is the giver of life. I look at Mattie and KNOW He gave her life when we believed there would be none, so I know how you feel when you look at Cohen - I mean, I know a little of how you feel. :) It's a blessing. Every day. Every moment. Don't sweat tomorrow - or yesterday for that matter. Your Father holds ALL of time in His hands and your biggest fears DO transform into your sweetest dreams come true there in His palm. :)
God is continually being glorified through Cohen. Thank you for continuing to point us to His hand in all of this! It is truly encouraging.
When my son, Carpenter, was diagonsed with DS, our gent. Dr. Geer(whom we love) gave us this outline of his life. Infancy, childhood, teenager, and adulthood of tests and things that were normal and stuff that could go wrong. I think the biggest thing I can tell you is take this information for face value. I know when to get his thyroid checked, hearing, dental, and so on. Use it as a guideline but don't worry about what could go wrong or what struggles Cohen may face. God is totally in control and I can tell that you whole heartly believe that. Do not let knowledgeable doctors dismay you with situations. Your family believes in Cohen. God has given him to the perfect family! Thank you for giving us a update! Once you personally peer into Genetics you see how even more amazing God is and that EVERY life is precious and for God's glory! Much prayers and love!
Thank you so much for that post. I believe that God did a miracle in our son Bennett as well. He is here and healthy, only because of of Him. I loved your honesty in talking about your trust in God. I have thought that I should have no trouble trusting in Him now, after the blessing of Bennett- but I too, find the need to be in "control" creeping in. Your words about praying that you remember to always give God the glory really touched me. Thank you.
May I please link your blog on my blog? thilgesfamilyfun@blogspot.com
It was so good to hear exactly the incredible miracle that took place in his life. That Our God gave his lungs the ability to support his life! A miracle indeed! Thanks for the reminder!
wow, there is so much I can relate to in here. Thank you for sharing.
emily- i'm still praying for y'all! i love to remember God's faithfulness in your family!!
mary
Hi Emily,
I came across your post by what appears to be devine intervention. Our daughter was born on 3/4/08 with a Giant Congenital Nevus. Like Cohen's, it is such a rare condition that the diagnosis can vary extremely depending on which doctor you talk to. We've heard anything from 50% likelihood of developing cancer by the age of 5 to that it will not affect life expectancy at all. Enough about us.
I just wanted to tell you that your post really struck home with me about our children being children of God first and we are lending them. What a great way of putting it. My blog is more about running, but there is some Rachel-related stuff in there as well if you'd like to check it out. www.dadrunner.blogspot.com
Jay
Finally trying to read some blogs--it's probably been 6 weeks...whew. What a GREAT post. Really shows how little we've been able to talk this summer, too. I had no idea of some of these thoughts, etc. Great to catch up with you, even if it is over the computer! Yes, it is true--Cohen is a miracle and was given breath by our Creator.
Post a Comment